Quote

Menu

Fun Fact

Did you know the Spanish called the Black Creek Rio Blanco or White River.

 

Search

Middleburg

Middleburg is in between the forks of Black Creek. It has had several names throughout its history Clark's Ferry (1820's-1833), Gary's (also known as Garey's) Ferry (1833-1850), Middleburgh (1851-1893), and finally Middleburg on September 8, 1893. Clark's Ferry was named for Asa Clark who ran the ferry from the 1820's until 1828. During the period between 1828 and 1833, the ferry was run by John M. Hanson, but the community was still known as Clark's Ferry. Gary's Ferry was named for Samuel Y. Gary and he ran the business from 1833 until 1851. On May 1, 1851, the name was changed to Middleburgh. Finally, on September 8, 1893, the name became Middleburg. When Clay County was created in 1858, Middleburg became the temporary county seat. It remained so until 1874 when the county seat was moved to Green Cove Springs. (Arch Blakey, Parade of Memories : A History of Clay County, Florida, pages 34, 47-57).

Middleburg was also home to Fort Heilman (also spelled Fort Heileman). During the period of 1830 to 1841, Fort Heileman provided protection to the settlers in the Garey's Ferry area and "was the principal depot for the east coast of Florida." (Kevin Hooper, The Early History of Clay County A Wilderness That Could Be Tamed, page 151).
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3NR1_Fort_Heilman_Middleburg_Florida

According to Kevin Hooper, author of The Early History of Clay County A Wilderness That Could Be Tamed and Arch Frederic Blakey, author of Parade of Memories : A History of Clay County, the following were the types of businesses that Middleburg had during this time period:

Carriage services from Garey's Ferry to various cities in N.E. Florida; the Middleburg Hotel; saddle ponies for rent; guides for hunting and fishing; steamships to ship produce and goods; general stores; Middleburg Common School; churches; sawmills; blacksmith shops; grocery stores; doctor's offices; and warehouses.

Steamboats were one way of transporting materials from inland areas to the St. Johns River. Below are two pictures of one of the steamboats that operated on Black Creek:

Steamboat
The Twilight on Black Creek
Steamboat
The Twilight at Black Creek

Photo Courtesy of Florida Photographic Collection in Florida Photographic Collection

Another steamboat that travelled the St. Johns River was the May Garner. Below is a picture:

May Garner
May Garner

Photo Courtesy of Florida Photographic Collection in Florida Photographic Collection

Below is one type of plant that Middleburg had during the 1920's:

Potato Crate
Potato crate plant and
brickyard at Middleburg on Black Creek
picture

Photo Courtesy of Florida Photographic Collection in Florida Photographic Collection

Middleburg Bridge
Lumber barges passing under Middleburg
Bridge on Black Creek
Middleburg Bridge
Middleburg Bridge on Black Creek

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos Courtesy of Florida Photographic Collection in Florida Photographic Collection

Most recently, Middleburg was featured on ABC's Extreme Makeover! Here is a link for more information about the segment - http://jacksonville.com/news/florida/2011-01-26/story/middleburg-family-picked-extreme-makeover-new-home