Fleming Island is located between the towns of Orange Park to the north and Green Cove Springs to the south. Doctors Lake is to the west and the St. Johns River is to the east, with each meeting in the north. To the south is Black Creek.
Did you know that Fleming Island had a previous name? Or that Eugenia Price, a famous author, wrote about one of its founding members?
Fleming Island started out as Hawkes Island. According to notes in Arch Blakey's Parade of Memories A History of Clay County on page 267, "The British referred to Francis P. Fatio as 'Lord Hawkes' and the land across the river from his plantation as his 'island'." George Fleming received a land grant in 1800 and this land is now known as Fleming Island. Fleming and his family cleared the land and named their house "Hibernia", after his birthplace in Ireland.
Eugenia Price wrote the novel Margaret's Story and it is about Margaret Seton Fleming. One of her sons was a governor of Florida – Francis P. Fleming. He was governor from 1889 until 1893. This link will give added information about him - http://www.floridamemory.com/collections/governors/fleming.php